Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My 25 things.

Since the last post was somewhat painful, I decided to share a bit of myself with you in a more lighthearted way. Enjoy.

1. I am a total homebody. I'd rather eat dinner at home any night of the week than go to a restaurant. Except for Mexican because I don't have enough of the Latina in me to make good tortillas. And while I do enjoy going out with friends and doing things at other people's homes, I'm just as content to stay home and read or watch a movie.

2. I often surprise myself with my athletic prowess, because I never thought I had any. My best sport is roller skating, not blading. But it turns out, I'm pretty decent at many sports including: ultimate frisbee, volleyball, freeze tag and chase-the-kid-to-get-my-key-back. And I can dance.

3. I hate when people misuse words or when they look at me all crazy for correctly using a word that is more commonly misused.

4. I love water. I love to drink it, sit in it, swim in it, ski on it (frozen, that is), kiss in it (rain kisses are excellent), get clean in it. I do NOT love when it melts in my Diet Coke.

5. I think people who give themselves nicknames are lame.

6. My favorite scent is Lever 2000 Antibacterial soap. After a shower when I catch a wiff of myself, all is right with the world. (I'm a simple girl.)

7. I am drawn to raw honesty and repelled by anything fake or contrived.

8. I love strong discussions with someone passionate about their beliefs. I do not love people with no opinions or worse, those that don't share their opinions because they are either apathetic or scared. It's ok for us to disagree. You're probably right. The Good Book didn't say we had to agree on everything or even like everyone. We're just supposed to love each other in spite of all of that. Let's debate!

9. I still dream of singing the National Anthem at a Rangers' game.

10. I love tattoos. I have three, am getting another soon and totally love this tattoo, which is not mine. I do not love this guy. And it gets worse.

11. I call myself a theoretical linguist. I mean that, on paper and in theory, I'm awesome at languages. I am excellent at grammar and all of the parts of language that most people struggle with. (I made 4th on the National Spanish Exam in the 9th grade - all written.) Because I've been a musician most of my life, I hear tones and mimic well so I'm generally great at pronunciation. I'm terrible at speaking, mostly because my memory is awful. (I grew up by enormous power lines. No really.) I understand far more than I can actually recall. So Arabic took awhile, but when I got it, people often confused me for a local, though that happened more on the phone than in person. Southeast Asian Tonal Language beats me down on a regular basis.

12. I love trampolines - big ones. We used to sleep outside in the backyard under the tramp fort we would build. Occasionally, we would cover it with liquid soap and turn the sprinklers on under it. It. Was. Awesome.

13. I always believe in the goodness in people. Sometimes I get burned. But I think I'd rather get burned every once in a while than live believing that people are always awful or mostly untrustworthy. That hurts my heart.

14. I'm pretty sure I'm not the best at anything. And I lack discipline to be the best, especially if someone I know is better than me at that thing. It's not about competition. It's more like "they're already really good at that thing, I'll be their biggest fan."

15. I love my hair. I realize that as a woman, I'm supposed to not like anything about my appearance, but I love my hair. So there.

16. I am addicted to Web Sudoku.

17. I spent most of my high school and college years deeply insecure and as a result, built a wall around my hardened heart that couldn't be penetrated. Now, I bruise easily and am far more sensitive than I even think I am. And I'm totally fine with it.

18. I am often overwhelmed by the horrific need and injustice around me and am disappointed in myself and others for doing so little about it. I cry a lot.

19. I love watching people discover things - new places, new cultures, new foods, new depths in their own hearts, new ability to love. Love it.

20. I hate excuses.

21. I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I love the life it affords me and I hate it when it doesn't work.

22. I do not receive gifts well. I want to give you a gift, but I don't want you to give me one. I know you love me because you spend quality time with me. Also, hugs are better than gifts. (What is your love language?)

23. I hate money.

24. I am completely happy to let someone help me with things I can't do. I don't have that innate "NO! I have to figure it out myself!" thing. I don't have time for all that.

25. At my core, I just want to love people and be loved back. Sounds simple, right?

3 comments: